Norton 360 Antivirus Deluxe 2020 Test & Review
Reviews score: The Best
Norton has a long history of creating excellent security products. For decades, the company has protected Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices against both online and offline threats.
Their latest iteration, Norton 360, takes this to a whole new level. With the continuous addition of privacy and identity protection features, Norton is becoming much more than just an antivirus solution. It is a truly complete – 360 degrees – security suite.
- Perfect protection from malware: Norton achieves perfect results in the protection tests on Windows, Mac, and Android.
- Full VPN: Norton is one of the few antivirus that includes an unlimited VPN for free. Most competitors limit their VPN to 200mb per day.
- Award-winning parental controls: Norton gives you control over what your children can view and download online.
- Tons of bonus features: Norton includes cloud backup (2GB – 100GB), a smart firewall, webcam protection, and a password manager.
- 100% Virus protection promise: Norton is so confident it will keep you safe, that if there is a virus they can’t remove, you get your money back.
- Full identity protection: For American customers, Norton offers dark web analysis, stolen wallet protection, credit monitoring and even a million dollar insurance against identity theft.
- Very complete entry level antivirus: Norton’s basic solution, AV Plus, is both affordable and very complete. But keep in mind, it doesn’t come with the VPN.
- Mac users miss out on a few features: The cloud backup, parental controls, and webcam protection are only for Windows.
- Identity protection limited to the USA: Non-US customers can’t access the identity protection features.
NortonLifeLock has been in business for over 30 years and has a wide range of products that cover all of the major operating systems.
Norton Antivirus Plus
Norton Antivirus Plus is the most basic package. It is targeted at those who want antivirus software, but don’t require additional privacy protection. It is available for Windows and Mac, not Android or iOS, and can be installed on one device per subscription.
The core features are:
- Real-time protection against online and offline viruses, spyware, and ransomware.
- A Smart Firewall that monitors the device’s communication with other computers and wards off unauthorized access.
- A Password Manager to help users create and manage highly secure
- Online Threat Protection. This is a browser extension to help protect your private and financial information when you go online.
- 2GB of cloud backup storage space for PC (not Mac).
Norton 360 Standard
Norton 360 Standard expands on Antivirus Plus. It can also be installed on only one device, but is available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. More importantly than that though, it adds several key features:
- Norton Secure VPN which, when connected, encrypts your internet traffic. This allows you to be completely anonymous online and safe from hackers. Norton is one of the few antivirus providers to have created its own VPN, and to offer it completely for free with its antivirus solution. It’s a really generous deal that makes Norton stick out above the rest.
- PC Safe Cam. This stop hackers from using spyware to take photo’s with your webcam without your knowledge.
- US-based customers also get Dark Web monitoring on top, which checks whether your personal information, such as emails and addresses, are for sale on the dark web.
Norton 360 Deluxe
Norton 360 Deluxe includes everything from Standard, but can be installed on five devices rather than just one.
On top of that, it ads the feature “Parental Controls“. This is a feature which allow you to see where your children are, both online and offline. This means that their phone not only has a GPS tracker to see where they are in the real world. But also an “online GPS tracker” to see what video’s they are watching, apps they download, and websites they visit.
Norton 360 Premium
For anyone outside of the United States, this is Norton’s highest level of protection. It offers the exact same as Deluxe, but supports ten devices instead of five.
Norton 360 Select / Advantage / Ultimate Plus
These are Norton’s highest protection levels for its customers from the USA. They include all the features mentioned above, and add identity theft protection on top.
The feature list is rather extensive and practically deserves a review on its own, but some of the core elements are:
- Identity Restoration Specialist. This is a customer service agent specifically trained to help you when your identity has been stolen.
- Stolen Wallet Protection. When your wallet is stolen, you can report it to Norton, who will help cancel credit cards, insurance cards, social security cards and driver’s licenses.
- Million dollar insurance. Norton will insure you for stolen funds, personal expenses and lawyer fees, up to 1 million dollars, depending on your package.
- Credit Monitoring. As cybercrimals can influence your credit rating once they have stolen your ID, this is a core metric to track.
- SSN & Credit Alerts. When you, or someone else, applies for a credit card, loan or phone contract with your Social Security and/or credit card data, you will be notified.
And the list goes on. It is truly impressive to see what Norton is able to cover and quite different from what other antivirus providers do. Visit their website to learn more.
Norton Mobile Security
Norton Mobile Security is NortonLifeLock’s solution for Android and iOS devices. The Android version offers a broader range of features, though the quality of the shared protection features is equal on both platforms.
Android users get App Advisor, which helps protect the device against ransomware, privacy leaks, adware, and other types of malware. Norton Mobile Security for Android can also alert the user about spam calls and frauds.
Both versions feature Wi-Fi Security, Web Protection, and Device Security. Wi-Fi Security scans networks, both private and public, before signaling whether it’s safe for a device to connect to it. Web Protection guards against malicious sites, installed apps, emails, as well as text and multimedia messages. Device Security monitors the operating system, and it can also protect sensitive data on the phone in the event of a theft.
Security & Performance
NortonLifeLock, rebranded from “Norton by Symantec”, is the company behind the antivirus software. It is one of the best known and oldest companies to make cybersecurity software. Recently, it has renamed its mainstay, Norton Security, to Norton 360.
With or without the name change, NortonLifeLock’s principal antivirus performed superbly in recent Windows security tests for by the German AV-Test. Superb as in accomplishing the perfect score of 6.0 on five consecutive appearances. It never failed to match or outperform industry-standard benchmarks in all subcategories of the test.
AV-Test has also examined the macOS version of the program. In the last five appearances in AV-Test trials, Norton picked up consistently strong performances, including 6.0 in Protection every time. All versions performed well above the industry average.
Norton Mobile Security, now known as Norton 360, is also a regular at AV-Test trials. In the five most recent appearances, Mobile Security/360 ranked among the top options for Android. It received 6.0 on all five occasions, scoring equal to or above the average in every section.
The Austrian antivirus testing organization, AV-Comparatives, has only tested the Norton’s Windows products. This means no macOS, Android, iOS.
In most recent five tests, real-world and malware protection tests included, Norton displayed excellent reliability and performance. Norton routinely overachieved in the Offline Detection Rate category and did even better in Online Detection Rate and Online Protection Rate. It achieved 100% on occasions.
Antivirus performance tests investigate the programs’ burden on a device. The “heavier” the antivirus, the slower the device becomes.
The Windows version of Norton 360 performed beautifully in recent AV-Test tests. Norton hit the perfect score in all five of its appearances. For what it’s worth, AV-Test checks how fast a device can launch a website, download a file, launch a desktop application, install an application, and copy files with and without the antivirus.
AV-Test also put the macOS version of the program through its recent trials. The combined results are stellar, with Norton achieving 6.0 every time it participated. In most recent tests, the program was found to cause zero slowdown when copying files.
Similar results were achieved in the performance tests by AV-Comparatives. On the five most recent occasions, Norton received plenty of “Very Fast” ratings and a few “Fast” ratings.